Mountain Pacific Troops to Teachers (MPTTT) is located in Colorado Springs, CO and serves the states of AK, AZ, CA, CNMI, CO, Guam, HI, NM, NV, OR, UT, and WA.

Friday, September 20, 2013

U.S. Army (Ret.) Command Sergeant Major, Sherman Fuller, becomes the new Principal at Global Village Academy Colorado Springs

U.S. Army (Ret.) Command Sergeant Major, Sherman Fuller, recently became the new Principal at Global Village Academy (GVA) in Colorado Springs. Fuller enlisted in the Army in 1978 and spent the next twenty-five years developing his leadership, integrity, courage, dependability, loyalty, judgment and organizational skills. Fuller was a member of the Elite Ranger Regiment. He has two combat tours in Panama and Granada.

    
When he retired in 2003, Fuller contacted Troops to Teachers to embark on his new career as an educator. GVA touts itself as a school with military traditions and world language excellence. The school also has hired two other transitioning veterans, also products of the Troops to Teachers program, whom have all agreed to, “proudly serve again”. Troops to Teachers help service member’s transition into civilian life and into teaching careers, if that is their passion. They go through the same credentialing programs as any other teaching candidate, but offer leadership skills and worldly experiences, to their classrooms.

     “Teaching is the life of a non- commissioned officer”, says Fuller. He spent twenty-five years, teaching and training soldiers from all ‘walks of life’ using differentiated instruction. This included teaching soldiers discipline and learning discipline.  As a leader he had to address soldier’s individual needs, while teaching skills affectively. “Not teaching a skill properly could cost a soldier his life”, he admits.  Fuller administered assessments to ensure the tasks were clearly understood and prepared soldiers for their next step in life. He did so by giving clear objectives, teaching organizational skills, providing guidance and motivating them to learn.  He had the unique opportunity, at one time, to teach at the Non-Commissioned Officers Leadership Academy and he also taught  military science at (UCCS) University of Colorado, Colorado Springs. It was there his natural gifts in education and administration were combined into a desire which eventually let him to wanting to become an educator.


     After retirement, he felt his life had encompassed teaching and learning, so therefore he wanted to continue to help others reach the same higher levels. “Students must learn to make the correct choices, and be guided into choosing a valuable career would help them achieve their dreams and goals”, Fuller says, “making the right decisions and being properly prepared were keys to walking down the right path.” Fuller wanted to help students with their journey. He visited the local Troops to Teachers Office and that began his journey. Through hard work, he attained a Master’s Degree in Education.  “Troops to Teachers was beside me the whole way”, Fuller says, “acting as my career advisor, without them, the journey would have been deterred”. Fuller says, “I knew I had a team of individuals who supported my goals and guided me through the teacher certification process while supporting me financially to achieve that dream.  I learned to take advantage of all of the opportunities for education that the military offered.  I volunteered and shadowed teachers. This helped me to see the ‘life of a teacher’ and to know that this was my ultimate desire.”
     Working with the Hire in Advance Program, which was a sub-program of Troops to Teachers, he attained his teaching credentials and started work as a Special Education teacher at Helen Hunt Elementary School in Colorado Springs District 11.  After teaching for four years and receiving the ‘Teacher of the Year’ Award from Troops to Teachers, he enrolled in the principal licensure program at the University of Phoenix. Fuller felt being a Principal is where he could make the greatest impact in the education field.  He wanted to give back to his community and wanted to lead educators. He wanted to support visions that inspired teachers to know that through sheer determination they could accomplish great things. He received his administrator license and became the Assistant Principal at Wilson and Monroe Elementary. He worked at Jack Swigert Aerospace Academy and most recently was Dean of Students at Wasson High School before it was forced to close in May 2013.
This same year he was hired as the Principal at Global Village Academy in Colorado Springs. The school is a 100,000 square foot facility that operates in the old Irving Middle School building on Murray near Constitution. “I’ve shown that dreams can come true with hard work and perseverance”, Fuller maintains.
            As an educator, Fuller learned that not having enough resources, including finances, could affect the outcome of one’s aspirations. He started annual golf tournaments at local courses to raise money for schools. “Troops to Teachers was there for me financially, so I felt I had to be there for the community, financially. I like to see kids move forward in education and understand that some families need that extra support”, Fuller adds, “The Troops to Teachers program assisted me in attaining my goal through stipends, job searches, certification and providing Place Exam Study Halls. They were the support network that was always there to guide me into my desired civilian career path.  Through their support, I attained my teacher’s license as well as my Principals licensure”.
            Sherman Fuller has two children.  His son Kephern, graduated from George Mason University with a degree in Government. He attended college on a soccer scholarship.  Fuller’s daughter, Shermeka, graduated from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs.  His wife, PJ, works as a teacher, also in School District 11, Colorado Springs and runs her own local business. His wife also did a complete career change. She worked in civil service for 19 years prior to teaching.  PJ has been teaching for thirteen years. When she began her journey, she participated in the Spouses to Teacher program, which was a sub-program of Troops to Teachers, and they guided her through the certification process as well.
    
Fuller states, “I cannot express my gratitude for the Troops to Teacher Program and to their staff.  Without them, we would have not accomplished what we have as a family.  As a Principal today at Global Village Academy Charter School in Colorado Springs, I continue the journey of moving students forward. I continue to lead teachers in supporting our greatest community resource, our children. My military experience prepared me for the education field.  My affiliation with Troops to Teacher grounded me in the art.  My life today as a Principal is showing me how to change the lives of kid.  Teaching is indeed an art. Education is the canvas where all things become real, and serving as a Principal is the tool I use to paint that vision of success. A vision that was instilled in me through the Troops to Teacher Program.  I am forever grateful for their tutorship and helping to mold me in what I’ve accomplished.” For more information on the Troops to Teachers program, visit www.troopstoteachers.net or to register for the program and get started on your next career to "proudly serve again", visit www.proudtoserveagain.com

No comments:

Post a Comment